Cogswell College held its 2013 Commencement Ceremony on Saturday, May 11. Participants processed into the hall to stirring strains of the Stewart Highlands Pipe Band of Menlo Park.
The ceremony took place at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View in the second floor in the Hahn Auditorium. Cogswell individually recognized each of the 36 graduates participating in the ceremony as they received their diplomas onstage.
Presiding Officials included: Ms. Janis Paulson, President; Dr. Deborah Snyder, Provost; Mr. Michael Martin, Dean of the College, Dr. Kathleen Broome Williams, representing the Cogswell College Faculty Senate.
Before the diploma presentations began, outstanding students, faculty and staff received well-deserved recognition. Award presenters included: Ms. Janis Paulson for the Staff award, Dr. Deborah Snyder for the Faculty awards, Mr. Michael Huber for Digital Art and Animation, Dr. Kathleen Broome Williams for General Education, Dr. Timothy Duncan for Digital Audio Technology, Mr. Bret Sweet for Entrepreneurship, Dr. Younes Mourchid for Fire Science, Ms. Josie Alexander for Student Life and Mr. Nirmal Singh for the Legacy Award.
- Student Award Recipients:
- 2013 Outstanding Student, Digital Art and Animation – Taylor Hodgson-Scott
- 2013 Outstanding Student, Digital Audio Technology – Kaleb Grace and Francesco Grieco
- 2013 Outstanding Student, Entrepreneurship – Eric Tran and Zachary Irwin
- 2013 Outstanding Student, General Education – Jessica Burgoyne
- 2013 Outstanding Student, Student Life – Aaron Weingarten
- 2013 National Fire Academy Achievement Award – James Bryla
- 2013 National Fire Academy Achievement Award – Alfredo Estrada
- 2013 National Fire Academy Achievement Award – Harry Higgins
- 2013 National Fire Academy Achievement Award – Mark Walker
- 2013 Henry Cogswell Legacy Award – Marialuisa Yazar
- Faculty Award Recipients:
- 2013 Dorothy Scholten Award for Excellence in Teaching – Jonali Bhattacharyya
- 2013 John & Ginnie Chin Excellence in Teaching Award – Susan Harby
- Staff Award Recipient: 2013 President’s Award for Outstanding Staff – Milla Zlatanov
For their high academic achievement, graduates Mark Walker, Degrees at a Distance/Fire Science and Jeannette Thomas, Digital Art and Animation and Kaleb Grace, Digital Audio Technology were selected to speak to the estimated 350 graduates, family, friends, faculty and staff in attendance.
Joel Slayton, Executive Director of ZERO1 delivered the Commencement Address.
About the Commencement Speaker: Mr. Slayton took the helm of ZERO1 in June of 2008 after serving as a both a board member for the organization and chairperson of ISEA2006, which was held in conjunction with the inaugural 01SJ Biennial. An artist, writer and researcher, Mr. Slayton is a full tenured professor at San Jose State University where he served as Director of the CADRE Laboratory for New Media from 1988 to 2008. Established in 1984 CADRE is one of the oldest and most prestigious centers in the United States dedicated to the development of experimental applications involving information technology and art.