Alumni Interview: Stephanie Lostimolo

Stephanie Lostimolo

I’m pretty excited about this one everyone! I got super lucky and was able to get in contact with an alum that I have been trying to find forever. Stephanie Lostimolo is one of the biggest reasons I came to know about Cogswell, I have been a fan of her art since High School. So…. enough gushing, let’s get down to this interview.

Zombie: Thanks for taking time out of your day to talk to us. I am not going to waste any time here, would you mind giving us an overview of where you work and what your job is?

Stephanie:  I currently work for Michael Curry Design in Portland, Oregon and Faerieworlds LLC and Imaginosis in Eugene, Oregon.

For Curry, I serve as a concept designer for theater, music festivals, theme parks, and other venues. I also work as a graphic designer for Faerieworlds LLC (producers of art/fantasy/music festivals on the east and west coast), creating the look and feel for all of their websites, posters, advertisements, brochures, program books, and other collateral. For Imaginosis, I design countless books, posters, calendars, t-shirts, hats, magazine articles, advertisements, and other items for clients such as Brian Froud & Siegfried & Roy.

I also make and sell paintings, prints, jewelry, and mixed media art in my “spare time.”

Zombie: So what is a typical work day look like for you?

Stephanie: It varies. On days when I work in Curry’s office, it’s like a normal work day for anyone. I wake up at 6am, drive an hour to work in traffic, work an 8-hour day doing all sorts of design work, and then I drive an hour home. Then I work on my freelance gigs in the evenings. I work on Faerieworlds and Imaginosis stuff at home.

Zombie: Was there anything that surprised you about your job when you first started?

Stephanie: Deadlines. Must. Be. Met.

I always knew this but it didn’t hit home until I got a real job. All personal work goes out the window when someone is paying you to be their design hero!

Zombie: Would you mind listing some of the projects that you have worked on in the past?

Stephanie:

FILMS

• Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith
  • John Carter (march 2012)
  • Outlander (2008 sci fi film, vikings)

THEATRICAL / TV

• Michael Jackson the Immortal World Tour by Cirque du Soleil
  • the upcoming Madonna appearance at the 2012 Super Bowl

BOOKS

• Brian Froud’s World of Faerie
  • The Art of Kinuko Craft
  • Siegfried & Roy: Unique in all the World ($700 limited edition collectable box set)

Zombie: What would you say you find most rewarding about your job?

Stephanie: The ridiculously long list of things I’ve been a part of. I like to point at something in a theater or a store and say “I WORKED ON THAT!” It’s a very satisfying feeling and it definitely makes writing the checks for my student loan payments easier every month.

Zombie: Do you have any advice for students who are maybe preparing for a job like yours?

Stephanie: I hope you like working! Laziness is a disease that is sweeping the nation; luckily for hard workers, it’s easy to stand out in this sea of lazy folk. My significant other happens to be my art director and owner of Faerieworlds and Imaginosis, otherwise I don’t think I’d have time for a personal relationship. Sleep is optional, and options only open up after the work is done.

Zombie: Are there any other qualities a person could have that would help them along?

Stephanie: You must also know how to take care of yourself. Remember to stand up for yourself when asking for money and never tolerate being treated badly. Seek jobs where you feel appreciated, but know that you will never be worshipped again the way you may have been in school or at home. That is a very hard thing to learn.

Zombie: Is there anything you would like to leave the students of Cogswell with?

Stephanie: Cogswell helped me prepare for my career by introducing me to other like-minded people who inspired me to keep moving forward. The contacts I made at Cogswell lead directly to my first job, and all of my jobs to this day.

When I started at Cogswell I thought I wanted to be a 3D animator. I soon realized 3D was not for me, and that I was more of a 2D person. It was an easy transition and I’m glad the school supported my choice to abruptly change gears.

Zombie: Thanks for all of your time and insight Stephanie. We all are looking forward to what you will be working on next.

And for any of you who would like to check out Stephanie’s work I have provided a link below. Be sure to check back in for more Alumni interviews!

Stephanie Lostimolo’s website: http://www.nethersphere.com/

Tags: , , , ,