Programming a website

Over spring break, I decided to try to use some of the knowledge I’ve learned in my software engineering class and try to apply it in other projects.  I found out that the programming language PHP which is used in web based applications, is very similar to that of the program language which I am currently learning, C programming. I finally found a side project to work on that would also help learn another programming language.  The project would consist of making a website that would allow the user to register and login to view the member only section of the website.

In my previous blog, I spoke about “for loops” and these loops also are used in similar way in PHP, lucky for me, I had some experience working with for loops. I was amazed in the similarity of the two languages. It seemed like I was coding in C with slight syntax changes, but the overall experience is very alike. Function calling in PHP is just like function calling in C, which helps organize the code so that you can read the code nicely.  I had to use a function call to display the country option in the register page, so that when the user puts in their info, they can also select what country they are from. Although I got the basic pages down rather fast, it took me some time to learn how to error proof the registration page, as I haven’t spent much time doing this. I had to make sure that when the user was asked to input some information that the field was not left blank or that if we ask for a first name, it wouldn’t allow the use of numbers, but would allow certain special characters that might actually be used in names.

Overall this project was interesting, although it is not completely finished, I completed a large section. I learned that material learned in class can be applied to other projects that don’t necessarily need to be of the same type, some skills are transferable and a lot of what I am learning are the building blocks for other programming languages.

Tags: , ,