Ambassador Blog by Josh Hodges, Digital Art & Animation Major

JoshHodgesHi! My name is Josh Hodges and I am an Ambassador at Cogswell College. I am a Senior in Digital Art & Animation Program – majoring in Entertainment Design.

How are your classes coming now that we’re getting to the end of the semester?  What’s the hardest (most challenging, takes the most work, however you want to work it) class?  What’s the easiest class?

My classes are getting a little bunched up, finals are piling up but I always push though. My most challenging class is still Project X, it is constantly pushing my limits and making me learn new things. I never thought I would be doing texture and shader work on a movie but now I am, and I love it. I usually go to movies and look at the design work and art direction but I recently went to see How To Train Your Dragon and found myself checking out all the texture work on it. I loved that movie. My easiest class this semester is probably Ethics, even though I have a 10 page paper due soon. It is a fun and interesting class where we discuss different schools of ethical thought. On top of that, it is taught by Richard Schimpf, this is one of the coolest teachers on campus.

What has been your most favorite class while at Cogswell?  Were there any classes that you took that you thought you might not like at first but then ended up loving?

My favorite class at Cogswell had to have been Concept Design or Creativity and Content Development. Both classes let me really push some crazy ideas around. In Concept Design, we were split into four groups and were given the story Moby Dick to take and make our own; we were allowed to tweak it in pretty much any way we wanted, so my group took it from men on the ocean, to mice in a pond. It was great, we made Moby Dick into an exotic eel and we added a few characters, we called it “A Tail of Moby Dick”. We want to get it made into a feature film. In Creativity and Content Development we had the coolest project I’ve ever had; it was called the Insanity Project. What you did was, you had to do something only a crazy person would do. Students did all sorts of stuff; one folded 150 paper knights complete with horses and lances. Two students teamed up and made a matchbook bikini and lit it on fire….while wearing it (it’s all on youtube, check it out). There has never really been a class that I thought I was going to hate but ended up loving it, I have a pretty good instinct at what I am going to like, so I just know when I will hate a class (usually if it involves math).

What is your involvement on the next Project X project?  Anything you can say about it?

My involvement in Project X has been multiple things; I was in the concept phase of things, during the concept phase I was promoted to Art Lead alongside with my friend Luis Carrasco. Now that concept is over I am doing texture/shader work, I am also trying to learn lighting. Unfortunately, there isn’t anything I can say about it other than it’s a sci-fi short and it is looking beautiful -  it’s already better than the last project.

Any big plans for the summer?  If you could create any event at Cogswell (or off-campus but involving Cogswell students) what would you do?

I have no plans for summer really, I wish I did, this will be the first summer I haven’t had off in a long, long time. I am devoting this summer to work and Project X.  We are getting into vital parts of the production process on the film and during this summer we have to take a few big leaps.

If I could create any event that involved Cogswell students, I think it would have to be a bon fire down in Santa Cruz, some night near the end of a semester of even the beginning of one. I think it would be a cool and really relaxed event.

~Josh Hodges

DAA, Entertainment Design

Tags: , ,