Cogswell Ambassador Blog – Josh Hodges

JoshHodges2Hi everyone! It’s Josh Hodges, Cogswell Student Ambassador!

How did you find out about Cogswell and how did you make your decision to come here?

I found out about Cogswell through my high school, they had a recruiter come out every year and set up a table during our college fairs. Every time they came I would go and check out what new, cool things that the artists at the school were coming up with. When I checked out the schools website, I also found out that one of my favorite artists at the time, Stephanie Lostimolo, graduated from Cogswell. That was a big driving factor, because I wanted my art to be at her level, and if Cogswell could help her do it, then I wanted to attend as well.

What is your dream job? How is Cogswell helping to get you there?

My dream job? Well that is a fun one, my dream job could be a few things. But if I had to pick one, it would have to be Art Director. I love painting and working on concept for movies or games. But on top of that, I enjoy being organized and directing a team of peers toward an epic end-product. If I wasn’t an Art Director I would have to go with being a Lead Artist on a Concept team. It’s not the leadership/giving orders that appeals to me, it’s just the fact that I get to leave my mark on something and that fact that I get to contribute a little more to the process by making decisions. The company doesn’t really matter to me, but if I had to pick one, it would be Pixar. The emphasis they put on story and character puts them so far ahead of the game than other studios, and I love that. Cogswell is totally helping me get to this goal by having teachers that are passionate about the subjects I am interested in. That passion they have really comes through in their teaching.

What do you do as an ambassador? Why did you apply for it? What’s your favorite part about it?

So as an Ambassador for Cogswell I have several duties. First, I do a lot of data entry and making sure that records are up to date for prospective students as well as calling them and making sure they have everything they need to make their decision. Second, I give tours and go to high schools and colleges once in a while to help recruit and give a small talk about my experience at Cogswell. And third, which is my favorite part, I do a lot of things with event planning. Once in a while I get to plan an event that was my idea, like our most recent event, Lounge Night. It was a last chance chill-out event, you would come and just hang out, and talk with your peers and even some faculty. There were no games, no prizes and no craziness; you just got to relax before the grind of the semester really set in.

The way I became an Ambassador was really fun. I had been working at Starbucks for 2 years, I loved the job. One night while I was closing, I saw a couple of the people from the admissions office in our cafe. So I went out and took their order and then brought their drinks. They asked me a few questions and then asked me if I would be interested in becoming a Cogswell Ambassador. I was pretty excited about it so I applied and got the job. The rest is an epic tale of how I had to fight off a horde of zombies to protect the school as my initiation. But that my friends is a story for another time.

Nice talkin to you bloggers! I’ll be back again soon. Peace.

Tags: , ,