Ambassador Blog by Julia Campbell, Digital Art & Animation

juliaHi! I’m Julia Campbell and I’m a senior in the Digital Art and Animation program, with an Entertainment Design concentration. I’m also one of the Cogswell ambassadors.

As an ambassador, I get to talk to prospective students and their families and give tours as well as help out at school events. Occasionally the ambassadors get to go along with Admissions staff to talk at schools. We also do a lot of data entry and packet making – all necessary to keep the school and interested prospies (prospectives) up to date.

I applied for the position because I love the school and feel there’s a lot of potential here. My goal is to try to help find students who will strengthen Cogswell as well as benefit from it. I enjoy meeting new people and talking about the college experience with them, and feel I have a different perspective since I already have a degree from a liberal arts college.

My favorite part is probably meeting the new prospies and getting to hear what they’re interested in – and seeing the portfolios they bring in! – then being able to tell them that their goals are viable and within reach with a college like Cogswell.

I found Cogswell when I was looking through the education section of the forums on ConceptArt.org. I’d been looking for a digital art school for a couple of months but hadn’t seen Cogswell’s name come up before. I found the school website and when I saw that it was just a 15 minute drive south of me I went down the very next day to take a look. Once I had the tour and saw some of the work on the walls I knew it was where I wanted to be.

My dream job would be to be a character designer/surfacer for BioWare. I LOVE their games and continue to be impressed with how they are improving. Cogswell is helping me realize that dream through strong classes in Figure Drawing, Digital Painting, Drawing for Animation, etc. The professors here are mindful of your goals and try to help you achieve them.

What am I hoping for for Christmas? Ooooh! Top items on my Christmas list are books. I love books! I’ve asked my folks for Don Seegmiller’s new Digital Painting book as well as some on Texturing and Lighting with Maya. I like having those kinds of things on hand as refreshers. Otherwise, I’m excited about my stocking. Mum always puts in something to read, something to wear, something to play with, and something to eat. She’d hang them outside my brother’s and my doors when we were younger so that we’d grab them in the morning and she and Dad might get an extra half hour or hour to sleep. The tradition stuck.

I don’t make resolutions – I’m terrible about keeping that kind of thing. If I did, it would be something doable like don’t eat most insects or don’t lick the inside of the freezer. Those are resolutions I can keep. Thank you, life experience.

Tags: , , ,